Sunday, May 28, 2017

Spiders and Scorpions

5/1/17 Email:

Ya'at'teh' Everyone,

So this week was a pretty interesting week for the most part. The weekend was fairly slow but the middle of the week got sketchy.

We are going to be spending the day [today] in K-Town (Kayenta).  It is Elder Krauss' last P-Day and we are going hiking, then playing football, and then I am going to have Elder Krauss give me a haircut hopefully, but yeah that's why this is so early. We are leaving at 8:45 this morning.

So this week we had a few spider problems...  The first was on Wednesday. We were over on Hopi side teaching a less active guy, his name is Gerald, and he is in his 70's.  While there we were in the middle of the message, and out of the corner of my eye I saw this decently sized black thing moving.  So I looked over and there was this pretty big spider.  From what I could tell, it was either a Brown Recluse or a Wolf Spider, I couldn't really tell cuz it wasn't close enough.  But my companion has arachnophobia, so he can't deal with spiders.  I looked over at him to see if he noticed it, and his eyes were locked on the spider. It was a big distraction for him.  So I asked Gerald if he had anything I could use to kill the spider.  Gerald is partially blind, and when he looked over to where the spider was, he couldn't see it, so he walked over right by it trying to look for it, then he says, "What, this brown spot?"  and then proceeds to step on it.  That spider made one of the loudest crunches I've ever heard from a spider getting stepped on.  Then on Thursday we go over to Thomas's house for a lesson, and he tells us about a Tarantula that was on his porch.  He said he swept it off the porch, and when it landed it turned around and lifted up his front legs/fangs and just stared at him.  He picked it up in a dust pan and took it away but from the pictures he showed us, it was pretty big!  Later that day we went over to another house, and the mom said she had just spent all night in the hospital because she was bit by a Black Widow in her sleep. I can't remember if the doctors concluded if it was either a Black Widow or a Brown Recluse but either way that is really bad.  That made things difficult because her daughter is on date for baptism this Saturday, and her health physically has been awful and she has been in and out of the hospital all week, and they almost missed church yesterday, but they made it so things worked out!  But yeah those are the spider stories for the week.

With the scorpion, I started to suck on the scorpion lollipop...




I haven't finished it. I'm trying to get the whole scorpion out before I eat it, just to see what it's like, but I will probably finish it sometime this week.  I have gotten about half of it out, ​it is quite weird. But oh well. 

Other than that we have 3 baptisms coming up this Saturday, they are all primary age girls, so our primary is growing, and we are really excited for them!  They are all really funny, and adorable, so you will get pics next week.

Spiritual thought for the week...  Yesterday we had a talk by Brother Tano (love that man), and he was talking about what his bishop said to him before he decided to go on a mission.  He had made it to college, and that was a big achievement for him because everyone told him growing up that he wouldn't make it to college, and he said he had things planned out and everything.  Then his bishop called him in to talk about serving a mission, and Brother Tano told him about what was going on in his life with college, and his plans, and his bishop gave him one question.  That question was, "Do you think you can plan better than the Lord?" I really liked that because I know that you can't plan better than the Lord! I've tried and, well, the plans I made didn't line up with His, and I paid the consequence for that, and now I am trying to go with His plan.  The Lord can see so much more than we can, He knows much more than we do, and he knows what is most beneficial for us.  So the Lord's plans will always be better than ours, and we need to figure out what that is for us and Just Do It.  I know that to be true, and I leave these things with you in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love you all,
Elder Takis


No comments:

Post a Comment